Ancient Grain Pizza Crust
Adapted from Adam Ragusea
Easy to make ahead & will keep for up to week in the fridge!
- 5 Cups of Ancient Grain 1:1 Replacement Flour (plus more for rolling out crust)Add To Cart
- 2 1/4 C Filtered water, warm-ish
- 2 tsp Organic Sugar
- https://amzn.to/2WXo37a1.5 tsp SAF instant yeast
- 1 Tb Sea Salt (I use Pink Himalayan)
- 2 Tb EVOO (plus more for oiling the bowl during rise)
- Cornmeal for dusting peel (for easy transfer to oven)
1 Cup Raw Cashews
1/2 Cup Water
3 Cloves Minced Garlic
2 Tb Nutritional Yeast
2 pinches of Sea Salt
Vegan White Garlic Sauce
In a mixing bowl, add water, sugar, salt, yeast, oil & AG flour
- Using your dough hook, start on low & gradually increase the speed as it comes together.
- Let it run for about 5 min. This will be a fairly sticky dough.
- With oiled hands, get the dough on your clean counter surface. Pour a little EVOO in the same mixing bowl you just used & smear the oil around. Work the dough into a big ball, tucking the edge under & place in oiled bowl. Roll the dough around a bit so oil ends up on the top. Put a piece of plastic directly on top of the oiled dough & place in a warm spot for about an hour or so. (your oven with the light on is a great draft-free proofing spot)
- Prepare 4 or 8 small bowls (I do 8, to make little personal pizza - I feel like they are easier to manage) with a little splash of EVOO
- After the dough has risen, pull it out & dump on your clean surface. Using oil if needed, divide the dough & make little balls (like you did the first time but place them in the bowls you prepared).
- At this point you can cover & place them in the fridge until you're ready.
- If you want to make the pizzas now, let them rest/rise for another 20 min or so while you get your toppings ready.
- NOTE: I like to use a steel pizza slab in my oven (look up Adam Ragusea's video on YT) and crank it as high as it will go (500º in my case) and let it heat up for at least an hour before baking your pizza.
- From this point you're on your own! LOL. You can toss your dough or stretch your dough, my husband likes to roll it & this method allows you to get the crust super duper thin. (Some pizza professionals would frown upon this method but don't worry! You don't have to tell them!)
- Get creative about your sauce & toppings! Just make sure you dust that peel with cornmeal or else it will stick & make a mess.
- My oven bakes the pizzas to perfection in about 10 min or so.
- As soon as your pizza comes out, transfer it to a wire rack - this will keep your crust crispy & frees up your peel for the next pizza!
Vegan White Garlic Sauce
Blitz all ingredients in a food processor or blender!
So easy to make plant based pizzas now! Many vegan cheese options to explore!